http://www.eservercomputing.com/iseries/tips/index.asp?sid=11&id=205&p=2

You could use the program(NETCONNECT) mentioned on the page above and put
in
the users startup script to log on as a "generic" user

The "help" reads:
<snip>
Network Drive/Printer Assign/Release Program
Command line format is
   NetConnect userid password drive: \\host\path [delay time in seconds]
   NetConnect userid password lpt_number \\host\printer [delay time in
seconds]
   NetConnect status

 The user id and password values will be ignored in the Windows 95/98
 environments.  Some value must still be provided on the call to the
program
 though.  This is due to a limitation in the windows network client in
these
 versions of windows.

 Notice that the path for a network drive assignment may extend beyond the
share named when using this program.
</snip>

Bryan Dietz

Anyone have a tip or technique for the following problem:

I have a PC program that needs access to the IFS. Client Access is not
installed on the PC.
If I initially access the IFS using Windows Explorer, and signon to the
AS/400, prior to using the PC program, everything is OK
If I omit this stage, there is no access to the IFS (I understand why).

My PC program can detect if its not connecting to the IFS, so is there a
way
that I can then automatically signon & use the IFS without prompting the
User ?
There is not a security issue here, as its the PC program that is accessing
specific IFS files, the PC User doesn't even know this.

I can create any User profiles on the AS/400. The PC User does not need
their own AS/400 profile.
Regards

Ian