I googled on "SQL_DECIMAL site:microsoft.com", since that is the ODBC data type that corresponds to packed - SQL_NUMERIC corresponds to zoned, I think. More recent version of JET, the native VB database engine, have a new data type, Decimal, that these map to. Earlier versions mapped to whatever seemed best-fit. You might want to see what vesion of MDAC you have - check it out at Microsoft's site.

I don't know is this relates - hope it's a little helpful.

Vern