Get the latest DB group PTF, for sure. Even then stats collection has some problems. I hate to say it, but you could be better off setting it to *NONE until things get sorted out. Although these jobs run at the lowest run priorities (97, 98, 99), once they fill up a queue (I/O or CPU) they still hold up other work.

Or set to *USER and look at the Stats item in OpsNav.

If you have indexes over a column, stats are generally not going to be collected over that column. And stats are single-column for the time being. So if you have enough indexes, you don't need to turn on stats as much.

Since these are a critical part of the new query engine, IBM is working diligently, I believe, to make this work. Meanwhile, there's a redpaper or redbook on the new engine, as well as an info apar for latest status. Look at <www.iseries.ibm.com/db2> and look in the Performance section - I think.

HTH
Vern