Hi., Murali

Glad you got some help. I guess I don't know what else you need. When you say "set up for external ftp to as400", are you talking about an external client, such as on Windows or Unix, or are you speaking of the server on the 400?

I assume that when you say "to the as400", you mean that the 400 is the server. If that is not the case, please say more. The following comments are based on that assumption.

If speaking of the remote client, there is nothing different from any other platform, where you type ftp hostname (or address) and press enter. Then there is one possible difference - you need to decide whether you will use library naming or path naming. These are set with the NAMEFMT subcommand - 0 means library, 1 means path. From the client you can execute

quote site nam 1

to set path naming. Use 0 in the subcommand to set library naming. See InfoCenter for good info on how to name objects in either name format.

Other than this, there is nothing different at the client from connecting to any other kind of ftp server.

If speaking of the server, there are configuration commands for the traditional tcp/ip servers, including ftp. That's all that is needed to set up the server. Then you just need to start the server. You could execute

go cmdftp

to see what the commands for ftp are on the 400. And starting a TCP server is, as other 400 commands, simply STRTCPSVR.

That's all there is, basically, when the 400 is the server.

If the final destination is a physical file, then you can ftp directly to such a file. It has to be created before the transfer, otherwise it will be created as a single-field record. The source file (at the client) has to be one with fixed-length records with record separators (CRLF in some combination - differs in Unix and Windows but is irrelevant). In other words, it needs to be a byte to byte match from client to server. This means that you cannot ftp directly into a file with packed fields. However, you can create a logical file with zoned fields based on the packed fields of the physical - it's magic but it works.

OTOH, if the source file is a comma-separated variable (CSV) or some other varying length variable layout, you need to ftp to IFS, then use CPYFRMIMPF to convert to the physical file. You should be able to work out the details. There are numerous posts in this list on these topics, so the archives make a good source of info. And the FAQ section may have some stuff. Places like www.iseriesnetwork.com and www.techtarget.com have had focused articles on ftp and are very helpful. And you could benefit from the excellent search engine at iSeries support (www.iseries.ibm.com.support and just click on the Search button, upper right)

E.g., a ggogle on "ftp iseries site:techtarget.com" led to a good site with further links, including a webcast on iseries ftp fundamentals. The same search at the iseriesnetwork.com site was not so fruitful, IMO.

HTH
Vern