I've heard talk of backing up to save file in a separate ASP and then
saving that to tape to save time.  I don't know anything about the ASP
aspect so don't ask me.  I also don't know if it would save a significant
amount of time.  It would increase your disk usage.

I can recommend save-while-active with the *SYNCLIB option.  I've recently
implemented it for our company and it works great.  (Thanks to Al Barsa for
some good advice!)  It's reduced our backup downtime from over 2 hours to
about 20-25 minutes.  We're on a 720 with about 55GB of disk used (total)
out of 155.4GB.  The 20 minutes is just the time it takes to establish a
checkpoint.  After that the normal operations can resume while the backup
runs and saves to tape.  This part only backs up the data libraries (which
sometimes have non-file objects).  There is a normal save for the programs,
IFS, etc.  Doing a SWA to a save file probably wouldn't buy you anything
unless you have lots of free disk space and like the convenience of not
messing with the tape drive.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Jeff Crosby

                      <jlcrosby@dilgard        To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      foods.com>
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                                               cc:

                      01/15/2004 10:19         Subject:  Backup performance

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical

                      Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midra

                      nge.com>

This talk about backing up \QNTC\ directories leads me to ask a question
I've been thinking about.

To reduce the backup window on the iSeries, is there anyone out there who
is
backing up to disk (*SAVF) and, when the system is brought back from a
restricted state, then transferring the *SAVF files to tape?

I was curious as to whether something like this reduces the backup window
as
far as restricted state is concerned.  And I know what tape drive is used
makes a big difference.  Plus backing up to a *SAVF is a '1 library at a
time' thing.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.