6. Re: cable router (Vern Hamberg)

message: 6
date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:40:35 -0600
from: Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: cable router

Sure. But let me get the picture - they have a cable modem which connects
to the outside of the netgear router, and the 400 connects on the inside of
the netgear router? You need to open the telnet port on the router - the
config is easy and browser-based, probably. Then you telnet to the router
and it gets transferred into the 400.

Yes, this is the scenario.

This is not very secure -

Yes I know. So will the customer.

obviously the 400 security had better be really
tight - no loosy-goosy passwords. But a better approach is VPN - netgear,
linksys, belkin and others make VPN routers (less than $150) that allow you
to connect to the customer's network as if you are on the inside.

This is good to know. Windows
2K and XP have security policy setups that allow this (ugly to set up but
work once you get it right). And companies like Cisco have VPN appliances
that probably have clients you use. This is basically what we have - works
very nicely for us, with known exposures that are generally less than the
first approach. (Yes, Jim O., we still have holes, but cost-benefit is OK
for now.) ;-)

HTH
Vern

Thanks everyone for the replies!