Thank you.

Benjamin Franklin

Al Barsa <barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
11/14/2003 10:47 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: How to access the IFS without TCPIP

Rob,

As I understand it, the 64 bit hardware had been developed, but SLIC and
OS/400 were not done for V3R6, however the new packaging that was RISC
capable, "The Advanced Series" was shipping models 2xx and 3xx, which were
ultimately footprint upgradeable to RISC.

Some of the engineers discovered that the S/36 objects could be brought
over, and run on 64 bit hardware without a recompile, which was a perfect
solution for S/36 customers with incomplete source.  Voila, the model 236.
Later the model 436 was announced, after the push to get RISC (models 4xx
and 5xx) out the door which was where the money was.   The model 436 ran
up
to three *M36 objects concurrently, although more could be resident on the
same system.  (More was possible, but not tested, so this was made a
documented restriction.)

In V3R7 or V4R1, and *M36 was made a standard part of OS/400 at no charge.
This was last supported in V4R4.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To

             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             11/14/2003 10:29                                           cc

             AM
                                                                   Subject

                                       RE: How to access the IFS without
             Please respond to         TCPIP
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Thanks for clearing that up.  I wonder which these people are running:
OS/400 or SSP?

I think we might purchased one or more of these way back when we were in
the process of migrating from the S/36.  Can't remember if we ever
upgraded the unit from SSP to OS/400 or if we just got a new unit.

Was this the poorly named AS/Entry?  Or was that the 236?

Benjamin Franklin

Al Barsa <barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
11/14/2003 10:06 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: How to access the IFS without TCPIP

A model 436 will run OS/400, but not required.  (As a model 436 was just a
model 236 than ran was capable of running OS/400, I can't imagine why
anyone would have bought one without OS/400, as it was more expensive than
a model 236)  There were a bunch of special "Terms and Conditions", and
being a model 4xx, I suspect that the last release it would run would have
been V5R1.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To

             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             11/14/2003 09:10                                           cc

             AM
                                                                   Subject

                                       RE: How to access the IFS without
             Please respond to         TCPIP
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I took Thursday off so I am playing quick catch up.  But does a 436 even
run OS/400 or just S/36's SSP?

Benjamin Franklin

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
11/13/2003 01:53 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: How to access the IFS without TCPIP

Not without TCP/IP, which they are not using.

Vern

At 12:14 PM 11/13/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I am confused. If the file is already in the IFS can't you just map the
IFS