Here in the Atlanta area we have a vendor called Cbeyond.  They are owned by
Cisco and are a CLEC in about 4 markets in the US.  We have a full data T1
from them and they run 5 voice over IP channels for us for regular phone
use.  The T1 terminates into a CISCO 2400IAD router and the router has a 110
connection on the back that has the analog connections that our PBX
requires.  It works very well.  When not in use the voice channels are used
by the data side, the voice allocation is dynamic.

Our other T1 vendor is currently using a more conventional setup by
splitting 10 of the 24 channels in the channel back for voice and data, but
tomorrow AM they are converting us over to Voice over ATM.  Same setup,
dynamic voice allocation, etc.

This thread is timely for me.
Our business is expanding and we just acquired more office space that is
separated from our main space by about 100 feet of parking lot.  I have
receive quotes to have the concrete dug up and conduit installed, to have
the parking lot bored underneath and to have a trench dug around the
perimeter of the property to allow us to run voice/data in our 2nd space.

Data is obviously simple with wireless (we bridged 2 of our customer
facilities over 1/2 mile using 802.11b and directional yagi antennas).  The
problem was voice.  We have an older analog PBX.  The cost to run conduit is
in the 5-6000 range, so I am wondering if I am better off spending the $$$
to do a voice over IP solution, run a wireless data link between the 2
buildings and run the voice over that.  We only need about 6 extensions in
the new office space.  Anyone have any ideas?
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service