Let's change "need" to "can".  Yes you can go through the ifs.  Search for
QNTC.

Can you FTP the files back and forth?  Yes, provided you've loaded an ftp
server on the PC, (if the process is initiated from the 400.  If initiated
from the PC it's not necessary.)

Other options include loading iSeries Access for Windows on the W2K
server.  Then you can have your iSeries do things like RUNRMTCMD to
initiate a process on the PC to extract and/or massage the data.  The
process may even use iSeries Access' file transfer technique for
converting and uploading data from the PC to the iSeries.  Then it could
massage the data on the iSeries.  After that the iSeries could use
RUNRMTCMD on the PC to use iSeries access to file transfer the data back
down.  Then it could load it back into the appropriate server files.

We've done this a few different ways.  The last one has been in production
for a few years.  The problem with that method is that if the PC program
puts in some particularly bad data, (here it's putting in a 16 character
item number when the transfer is set up for 15).  Doing the analysis on
that is a peach.  We thought of changing it to just sending the .txt file
up to the iSeries and let us extract it there.That way we could tell
exactly which column in which row was bad.  There were numerous columns
with item numbers in them and it was tough.

Benjamin Franklin

"Bob Kohlndorfer" <kohlnbob@xxxxxxxxxx>
11/04/2003 03:39 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Transferring files to and from AS/400 and an attached win2000 server

I am hoping to initiate a process on an AS/400 running V4R5 that can
retrieve a file from an attached Windows 2000 server, process that
information  and create new files on the AS/400 and then transfer those
newly created files to the Windows 2000 server.

Do I need to go through IFS?
Can I FTP the files back and forth?  If so do I need to translate EBCDIC
ASCII?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob