> I am hoping to initiate a process on an AS/400 running V4R5 that can
> retrieve a file from an attached Windows 2000 server, process that
> information  and create new files on the AS/400 and then transfer those
> newly created files to the Windows 2000 server.

I would turn this on it's head and do it the other way round.  Create two
IFS directories and map the Win2K box to those directories.  Have the Win2K
process save its work in one directory (let's call it from2k) and look for
the processed results in the other (let's call it to2k).  The iSeries can
then accept as many input files as the Win2K box can produce.  Simply read
the directory and process each file therein.  As each file is processed,
delete it from from2k and put the resultant data in to2k.

I do this with telephone switches, where the switch 'pushes' call records to
the iSeries on the hour.  We can invoke our rating process on a schedule, or
manually several times a day.  If manually, we pick up all the call files
the switch has left us since the last processing has occurred.

Instead of multiple directories, perhaps you could consider unique file
extensions.  In any event, having the PC reach out to the iSeries tends to
be a cleaner mechanism than the other way round.  With the PC pushing and
pulling, it is guaranteed to be connected.  When it's not, someone's right
there to fix it, and if the connection goes away in the middle of the night
(during the scheduled job?) you don't care, because all the data is on the
iSeries.  With the iSeries driving, you have to deal with the occasional
problem of someone shutting the PC down by accident, or some equally silly
thing.

Just some food for thought.
  --buck