From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Hans Boldt
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 10:39 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: what is Java bytecodes? was a contentious ILE vs CLI debate.

>To get back to MS programming, it's really just the same. You can
>choose to target your program either to the Intel instruction set or
>to the CLI sandbox. With one, you have a static binding environment
>offering efficient use of machine resources at the byte level; with
>the other, you have a robust object framework. Pick one.

Thanks for the reply Hans.  In a .NET C++ managed project the programmer can
mix managed code classes with standard c++ classes. Only if you want your
c++ class to be usable by VB or C# code do you have to make the class a
managed class. This is good for me because I dont have to discard any of my
legacy code as I step into the realm of managed code.

( I am not an expert on this.  In fact I have just done some of steps from
the C++ .NET step by step book.  But from the .NET forms classes ( a VB like
way to build a screen ) I was able to use my legacy C++ classes that connect
to the as400 and run a remote command or read from a dtaq. )

-Steve