So the 2 concepts apply to different levels of development, one at the source code level, the other at the linkage level - after the source code has been compiled into linkable objects. You asked why they don't mean the same thing when, to some extent, the words for which the acronyms stand mean the same things. The problem is, they don't apply to the same environment - their contexts are different.

I think! ;-)

Vern

At 09:16 AM 11/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of McCallion, Martin
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 5:23 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: what is Java bytecodes? was a contentious ILE vs CLI
debate.

>The other responses you have received should have clarified things.
>Additionally, I seem to recall that at least one of the RPG visual IDEs
>(VisualAge or the other one that I can't remember the name of) could
>generate bytecode from RPG.

Actually, it clouds the picture again.  ( but that is good. maybe I will end
up understanding Java better )

Yesterday, I asked the question:

>> Basically, the question is, what does Java bytecodes provide in terms of
the
>> inter language use of classes?  That is, can the Java bytecodes generated
by
>> the compiling of code in one language be referenced at the source code
level
>> by a programmer in another language.

and Hans responded:
>> Yes.

Which lead me immediately to upgrade my opinion of Java and start the
process of asking why RPG is not made to compile down to Java bytecode.
What I am interested in is mixing Java and RPG  without the need of a
cumbersome interface barrier.  That is why microsoft's CLI has my attention.
In my windows C++ code I can mix in C# and VB.NET classes without much
hassle.

So what prevents the RPG compiler from translating RPG to Java ByteCodes?
Esp if VisualAge RPG possibly does.  The thinking being that if RPG can
translate to ByteCodes, then the programmer can also natively reference Java
classes contained in the Java ByteCode stream emitted by the compiling of
Java code.

-Steve

_______________________________________________ This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.