Rick

> You might try rearranging the order of your where clause,
> if any.  I have seen that change the access paths used by
> the optimizer.

I'd like to try that (see my last post in a different thread ;)

> IIRC you should also have a message in the job log that will
> tell why existing logicals were omitted.  That might help also.

> As I'm writing this a light bulb is going off telling me
> that that the optimizer ignores join logicals.  I can't
> remember where I saw that though.  Has anyone else seen
> anything about the optimizer and join logicals?

The optimizer considered it and rejected it for reason 4 - The cost to use this
access path, as determined by the optimizer, was
higher than the cost associated with the chosen access method.

Then, it built a path over the primary file, using mostly my select/omit
fields as keys, but the odd thing is that it built it for reason 1 - Perform
specified ordering/grouping criteria.   the ordering was done
in the join!

oh well, i'll keep trying

rick