Hi David -

One major problem with using Google is: Google doesn't index pages recently
added until it is aware that they are there.  I have no way to tell Google
to index the site.

My search engine is run every 6 hours (unless I'm working on things), so
pages added recently are almost guaranteed to be there.

You might consider FreeFind <http://www.freefind.com> which provides site search capabilities, free or fairly cheap depending on how much you have to be indexed and what features you want. Free includes unobtrusive ads on the search results pages. Even the free includes custom templates for the results pages and other goodies. I use the free version for my site (see URL below). The search is from FreeFind. They offer a Site Map capability but I didn't like it so the Site Map is my own.

With FreeFind you can have scheduled reindexing up to once a day or on demand. Unfortunately you cannot tell it just to reindex a particular page or section; it always does the whole thing.

You can tell it sections to skip and you can designate particular sections that can be searched separately (e.g. the iSeries FAQs search on my site).

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.