I couldn't disagree more, my experience at the gaylord was great.  The
service was good, and the front desk was very helpful in every way.  If you
had a problem and were friendly about it, they went out of thier way to
make it right for you.

First of all, I never, ever dial long distance from any hotel room.  it's
an invitation for larceny.  the gaylord is no different than most other
resort hotels.

I too had problems with the internet connection - I was told they had
people working on it all week, and they were also trying to get the in-room
PCs working as well - most of the time, I had internet access, but
occasionally it would drop.  most of the time, i disconnected and
reconnected and it would come back.   sometimes, a reboot did the trick.  a
hassle, but what do you have to do.

as far as the resort fee is concerned, both the common website and the
hotel's website informed you up front that it would be charged, and the
sleeve that your door key came in layed out exactly what the charge
included.  it also let you know that you could tell the front desk not to
bring a newspaper, and you would be credited for .50 a day.

hell, just the water and juice in your fridge every day was almost worth 10
bucks by itself, since they charged 2 bucks a piece for them at the gift
shops.

really, my only complaint was the lack of economical restaurants, and the
intermittant internet connection.  otherwise, it was a very pleasant stay
at a very impressive and beautiful hotel complex.

and the session ending event at universal studios was a hoot!   It doesn't
get any better for a roller coaster freak like myself than 0 minutes
waiting time for a ride!

rick

-----------Leo said----------------------
For those of you collecting horror stories about the Gaylord Palms, here
is one of mine:

As those of you who were staying at the Gaylord Palms (for the COMMON
Conference) know, the in-room (high speed?) internet WAS NOT  working.
One day I had to check my e-mail messages, so I used the telephone line
in the room.

I just checked my hotel bill and my two long distance calls (one to get
the messages(1), and , the other one to send back one quick reply (2))
cost me over $110.00 US in long distance.
(1) $79.67 US -- about 15 minutes
(2) $30.68 US -- about 3 minutes
Totall: $111.35 US

Outch!