From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 4:47 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Serious service issue when ordering ptf media.

I won't get them in time.  According to the UPS tracking I won't get them
until Monday.  In fact the UPS tracking said they held the ptf's for one
whole business day (from about midnight until about 6:30PPPPM) waiting on
billing information.  I'm sure that can be one point for IBM and UPS to
get into a pi$$ing contest over.  Fortunately I had another copy that came
in on Airborne for another system.  I used them on the rest of the systems
by doing this:
md '/fixes'
CRTDEVOPT DEV(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) ONLINE(*YES) TEXT('Virtual optical
drive for image catalog')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(PTFCATALOG) DIR('/fixes') TEXT('PTF image catalog')
ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(PTFCATALOG) FROMDEV(OPT01) (repeat for each CD)
WRKIMGCLGE PTFCATALOG

Then when I am ready to load them, (after the saves) I'll just do:
WRKCFGSTS *DEV OPTVRT01
Vary it on
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(PTFCATALOG) DEV(OPTVRT01)
VFYIMGCLG IMGCLG(PTFCATALOG) TYPE(*PTF) SORT(*YES)
GO PTF
8. Install program temporary fix package
Device  . . . . . . . . .   OPTVRT01
Automatic IPL . . . . . .   N

Tested this on one system and it's pretty slick.

Granted, I could have used the CD's on each machine instead of the image
catalogs.  However I wanted to play with the image catalogs more so that
in the future I will FTP the PTF's down and screw relying on IBM and UPS
to get them here in time.