Carel, sorry to extend this a little more. So this is a request to all (or suggestion, as one may take it).

If anyone asking a question on this list is working for one of these outsourcing companies in India or Korea or Canada or wherever, do take a look at that FAQ on how to ask questions.

But most of all, be up front about who you are. Honesty goes a long way. You, too, are trying to make a living, probably trying to feed yourself or someone else. It's not directly your fault if someone tries to use your services.

If you are a student, say so.

Tell us what you have tried. Don't ask (generally speaking) if you've not as least tried to find out something. E.g., the question that started this thread could have been asked, "I tried to find main memory capacity on the WRKSYSSTS display - I can add up the pools - but is there a better way?"

If you can't get to the normal channels of information (google, manuals on-site, other programmers on-site, etc. - look at that FAQ), let us know.

Judging from the way other lists operate, this one is incredibly polite. There aren't many scathing "RTFM" comments - probably should be more.

The same problem exists in companies, where there is always a go-to person that gets interrupted by those who _could_ look it up, except it's easier to just ask George, he always knows the answer. And some of these persons seem never to remember what they heard the last time they asked Georgina about the same thing.

I'm done.

HTH

Vern