I think skill is not the issue here, financial situations and alternatives are.
Persons affected by "offshoring" still have the skills and the experience;
their substitutes offshore may not have that. The remark "Cheaper is
(sometimes) better" can be contradicted with "More expensive is not always
better". I have had experience with persons considered to be experts, but
failed miserably. I think others have simular experiences.

The strangest thing is, that those newbies are thrown in at the deep end
without any mentoring, guidance, support from responsible people (where are
their seniors?); without any access to manuals (books or CD's); and with
limited access to the Internet (apperently only e-mail). On the other hand,
somehow they got the link to this mailing list. Perhaps an attempt to cut on
training (any training?), after all.

I think some of the negative remarks are correct, but I think the newbies
should not be scared off; the platform is too large to know every aspect of it.
But the way those newbies phrase their questions will arouse this controversy
again in the near future.

Hopefully this discussion has ended.

Just my rambling thoughts on the matter, worth 2 Euro cents.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.