midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I teach basic os400 to hardware engineers; one subject is 'menu navigation';
>how to find such functions as 'work with system status' ...
>a)  From menu MAIN, take option 3, General system tasks
>b)  From menu SYSTEM, take option 2, Status
>c)  From menu STATUS, take either option 6, Work with system status
>                                                        or option 10, Work
>with shared pools
>
>If this kind of search is beyond anyone, they NEED training.

What bothers me most about responses so far is that we don't yet know what the
actual question is; responses have been guesses based on probability. I know
that the above response wouldn't be helpful to me even though there is
technical correctness.

Originally, I was going to answer with a sample CL program that called an
appropriate API requesting the appropriate format. The return value would be
sent to the screen as a series of *EXT messages telling how much memory was
allocated to each system pool and what total main memory was.

Why? Because I interpreted the question from a programmer's viewpoint, not an
operator's. It's _easy_ to learn how to _see_ how much memory there is; it's
more trouble to teach a program how to find out. It's something I learned quite
a while ago when I chose to create some basic automation tools for configuring
new systems -- How should pools be set up? How can I distribute memory? How
should IBM's default pools and routing entries be changed?

It's perfectly possible that the only "newbie" aspect of the question was
unfamiliarity with phrasing in English on a technical forum. It's also possible
that if I had asked the exact same question, _somebody_ out there would give
the "correct" answer for my need, that is, which API and which format. It
wouldn't surprise me if _someone_ assumed "He probably knows menus; he's
looking for something more."

Unfortunately(?), before I sent off my sample which really was pretty trivial,
someone posted 'Hey, guys, he's one a THOSE!' And I'm not sure I want to be in
the middle of the battle.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta