George Kinney wrote:
Piping everything to >NUL works fine.

Just for those who may not know, using the '>' operator is not a pipe, but output redirection. A pipe uses the pipe symbol '|' and sends the stdout of one program to the stdin of another. Output (and input) redirection is different in that you can't use it to connect programs, but rather simply send the output to a file.

People looking for more info on the web might get confused if they search for 'pipe' and only get input/output redirection.

Note also that stdin is a file (at least on unix - everything is a file), but trying to redirect one programs output to the stdin of another like a pipe doesn't work. I believe this is because without the pipe operator, the system doesn't invoke the second program or connect the two stdout and stdin. Instead it would simply write the output to a file with the same name as the program specified. This is wrong:

ls > more

but this is correct:

ls | more

The first would simply write the output of ls to a file called more. The second would invoke more and pipe the output of ls to more.

James Rich