> The problem is that one process could CAUSE a GPF in another
> process simply by messing with a pointer.  Nothing stopped
> you from wiping out entire other processes...

Ah, my mistake, you meant *that* kind of memory protection.

> OS/2 eliminated this problem by making sure programs
> could not access each other's memory.

Yes, OS/2 did a fine job of this, but it didn't quite 'eliminate' it completely
- remember the very rare blue 'Trap' d & e screens [ yes folks, Microsoft even
'stole' the BSoD :) ] ? But of course, IBM had a great model to take notes from
when designing OS/2; MVS.

And IIRC, didn't the chief architect for WindowsNT (David someone ?), come from
DEC with his head full of the VAX operating system (VMS) ideas ?

--phil