Oh how I hate to nit-pick, but there's nothing to watch on TV, so sorry Joe...

There was memory protection in all commercial versions of Windows (3.0, 3.1 and
3.11 aka; Windows for Workgroups). If you ever got a GPF message box when
running applications, there was the memory protection mechanism coming into
play - GPF remember, was the TLA for General Protection Fault. Windows 2.0 (the
version where Windows still looked like the GEM rip-off) however was a whole
other kettle of fast moving sharp objects...

Inter-process communications were also in existence for Win3.x, There was that
lovely DDE for starters, then the very tasty OLE for seconds, and mmmmmm my
favourite - mapped files for afters !

But you're dead on correct about the 'multi-tasking' or aka; first come, first
to hog the CPU forever.

--phil