On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:17:27AM -0400, Hans wrote:
> I certainly agree that unsolicited commercial e-mail is a problem. But
> there's a definite difference between most of the dreck we all get and a
> company that lives or dies on its reputation. As I said before, all of my
> requests to be removed from the mailing lists of iSeries related companies
> have indeed been honored. If enough people express their concern over such
> unsolicited e-mails, perhaps the companies that send them will rethink
> their strategy.

How many "legitimate companies" are there out there? Hint: It's a large
number.

Spam simply doesn't scale. If just one percent of the *small* businesses in
the US sent you just one spam per year, you'd have to opt out of over 700
emails *a day*!

A spammer is a spammer, regardless of their legitimacy in other areas. Spam
is theft. I refuse to do business with thieves, or even ask them to
unsubscribe me - why should I unsubscribe from anything I didn't subscribe
to in the first place?

> Put the shoe on the other foot. If your company was engaging in some
> questionable activity, wouldn't you want to know about it and be given the
> chance to correct it?

They can find out when their ISP terminates their service for spamming.