        From:   Andy Nolen-Parkhouse [SMTP:aparkhouse@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent:   Friday, May 09, 2003 4:44 AM
        To:     'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
        Subject:        RE: Selecting an ethernet line

        Albert,

        Below is my understanding.

        On the ADDTCPRTE (Add TCP Route) command you have a parameter called
        DUPRTEPTY (Duplicate Route Priority).  Valid values are between 1
and 10,
        the default is 5.

        What you want to do is called outbound load balancing.  If you leave
the
        DUPRTEPTY at its default value, nothing will happen and the system
will
        not attempt to manage your outbound traffic.  If you change the
values to
        equal values other than 5 for both routes, the system will attempt
        balance the number of connections (not actual load) between the two
        routes.  If the values are different, the higher number will be the
        preferred route.

        I realize that you asked about selecting a specific Ethernet line
when
        opening a socket.  I don't know how to do that, (or if it can be
done),
        but you might find that the above tip might meet your needs.  The
system
        will be working with the number of connections, as opposed to
throughput,
        but if your connections average out, it may suffice.  Set both
interfaces
        to a value of 6 and see if things are better.  It will do no harm.

        Regards,
        Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

        > On Behalf Of York, Albert
        > Subject: Selecting an ethernet line
        >
        > I have an AS/400 with two ethernet cards in it,  for redundancy.
They