We have a requirement to encrypt our consumer data on our system.  Yes the
data files / fields need to be encrypted.  Some of the fields are also keys
to the data bases.  Our OLTP application receives data such as a MICR number
or Drivers License and needs to perform a lookup in our data base.  These
fields need to be encrypted on disk.  We have 5722-AC3 installed and have
used the SSL API's for web based transaction processing, but none of the
API's for data encryption.  I envision encrypting the incoming data before
comparing to the data base.  What I need to know is; 1. How CPU intensive is
data encryption, NOT SSL handshaking.  2. Will one of the flavors of the
Cryptographic Co-Processor off load the CPU on a A. 170-2291 and B.
820-2436?  On the 820 will the cryptographic co-processor off load the
interactive count on the CPU since we can only use a small percentage for
interactive jobs.

Also, can one still upgraded their interactive capacity on an 820 under
V5R1?  Is IBM still selling upgrades or are we going to be forced to
enterpricy? ;-)

Christopher K. Bipes      mailto:Chris.Bipes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Operations & Network Mgr  mailto:Chris_Bipes@xxxxxxxxx
CrossCheck, Inc.          http://www.cross-check.com
6119 State Farm Drive     Phone: 707 586-0551 x 1102
Rohnert Park CA  94928    Fax: 707 586-1884

NOTICE--This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.