>But when the discussion starts with "Windows
>supports more memory than the AS/400",

Well, it does... <G> However, the sublities of memory management, virtual
memory and single-level storage are not lost on me, I assure you. With a
computer engineering background I've both written (simple) operating systems
and fabricated silicon wafers.

>In desktop operating environments, terabyte files require some
>serious manipulation in your application, if for nothing else
>than because you have to deal with them as multi-volume files.

I assume you're talking about flat files, not database files. Since on the
desktop I would access the database the same way you would, through SQL[1].

As far as accessing multi-terabyte flat files, how would you do it on the
iSeries? You couldn't use the 16-bit IFS APIs (read(), lseek(), etc.) since
they only support files up to 2Gig you'd have to use the 64-bit versions
(open64, lseek64, etc.) These are the _Same_ APIs you'd use in the windows
environment to manipulate files that large.

Joe, I consider this back-and-forth fun and educational, I hope you do too.

-Walden

[1] Arguments of Record Level Access vs. SQL left aside.

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11