Marco et al,

>>Isn't
>> that why IPDS exists?  To
>> put the intelligence in the printer?
>
>I agree but you have to pay for it

Yes, but they already paid for the IPDS attachment for the printer.  What I
don't understand is why PSF then becomes a requirement if the work is done in
the printer attachment.

To further make the point, when they hook it up and start the writer, they get
messages they have exceeded the usage limit of 0 and are in the 71 day grace
period.  But if they tell it to continue, it works fine even though PSF is *not*
even installed as a licensed program.  (Per DSPLICPGM)

Makes you wonder what you are paying for when the software doesn't even need to
be installed for it to work (for the few features they need, like bar codes and
OCR).

>> Should it just be configured as a *LAN 3812 PJL?
>
>It's exactly what we usually do, of course if the printers
>are not too many and the printing volume not huge.
>Otherwise we sugggest to pay the licences and switch to
>IPDS.

Looks like the direction we'll go is to just add the $100 twinax attach option
and continue to use IPDS but without a PSF requirement.  Beats paying $2500 to
get a PSF license.  So iSeries print traffic will come in on the twinax input
and LAN traffice on the Ethernet, instead of all of it on the Ethernet.  I
understand that it should auto-switch inputs in this configuration.

Doug