At V5R2 (beginning at 5r1?) Query uses a data area for look up for limiters
and other default values. The system comes without this data area, so the
effective defaults are *nomax and *same.

Please read the email below before attemping the following example I did.

After creating the dtaara in QSYS (I wanted all users set up same) the
following commands were run to limit queries to 600000 records and increase
by 10,000 records up to 5 times if exceeded.
Notice that the record increment is limited to 5 characters, so a max of
99999.

CHGDTAARA DTAARA(QQUPRFOPTS (66 10)) VALUE('100005    ')
CHGDTAARA DTAARA(QQUPRFOPTS (56 10)) VALUE('600000    ')

Although I suspect I would be better off using a smaller initial file size
and make better use of the number of increments a filesize can be increased.
In other words, use an initial filesize of 10000, incremental increase(s) of
5000, up to 2000 times. Might be more efficient of system resources. But I
was in a hurry.

Comments?

Here is a copy of the email I received from Rochester last week:

SA54605

Problem Summary:

When a query is submitted, the job queue associated with the job
description from the USRPRF is the job queue where the query will be
submitted.  The user needs another way to direct a query to a specific job
queue.

Problem Conclusion:

Support for a new data area has been added to Query/400.  The new data area
(QQUPRFOPTS) provides the user with Query user profile options.  The
following user profile options are now available (the SBMJOB parameters
refer to the 8=Batch option from the Work with Queries display):
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|Purpose of User Profile |Position in Data Area   |Options                 |
|Option                  |                        |                        |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|*Reserved for later     |1                       |N/A                     |
|release                 |                        |                        |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|RTGDTA parameter for    |2                       |'B' = QCMDB (QBATCH)    |
|SBMJOB                  |                        |'   ' = *JOBD           |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|OUTQ parameter for      |3                       |'J' = *JOBD (default)   |
|SBMJOB                  |                        |'C' = *CURRENT          |
|                        |                        |'U' = *USRPRF           |
|                        |                        |'D' = *DEV              |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|PRTDEV parameter for    |4                       |'J' = *JOBD (default)   |
|SBMJOB                  |                        |'C' = *CURRENT          |
|                        |                        |'U' = *USRPRF           |
|                        |                        |'S' = *SYSVAL           |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|INQMSGRTY parameter for |5                       |'J' = *JOBD (default)   |
|SBMJOB                  |                        |'R' = *RQD              |
|                        |                        |'D' = *DFT              |
|                        |                        |'S' = *SYSRPYL          |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|JOB parameter for SBMJOB|6-15                    |10-Character name       |
|                        |                        |associated with the     |
|                        |                        |batch job.  Special     |
|                        |                        |allowed values are:     |
|                        |                        |                        |
|                        |                        |*JOBD - The job         |
|                        |                        |description name is     |
|                        |                        |used.                   |
|                        |                        |                        |
|                        |                        |*QRY - The query        |
|                        |                        |definition named is     |
|                        |                        |used.                   |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|JOBD parameter for      |16-35                   |10-Character job        |
|SBMJOB                  |                        |description +           |
|                        |                        |10-character library.   |
|                        |                        |Special allowed values  |
|                        |                        |are:                    |
|                        |                        |                        |
|                        |                        |*USRPRF - The job       |
|                        |                        |description from the    |
|                        |                        |user profile is used.   |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|JOBQ parameter for      |36-55                   |10-Character job queue +|
|SBMJOB                  |                        |10-character library.   |
|                        |                        |Special allowed values  |
|                        |                        |are:                    |
|                        |                        |                        |
|                        |                        |*JOBD - Use the job     |
|                        |                        |queue found in the      |
|                        |                        |current job description.|
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|Initial number of       |56-65                   |Any value from 1 to     |
|records in the output   |                        |2147483646, can be      |
|file                    |                        |right- or               |
|                        |                        |left-justified.         |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|Number of records per   |66-70                   |Any value from 1 to     |
|increment for the output|                        |32767, can be right- or |
|file                    |                        |left-justified.         |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|Number of increments for|71-75                   |Any value from 0 to     |
|the output file         |                        |32767, can be right- or |
|                        |                        |left-justified.         |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|USER parameter for      |76                      |'J' = *JOBD             |
|SBMJOB (Added at Release|                        |' ' = *CURRENT          |
|V4R5M0)                 |                        |Note:  This is for      |
|                        |                        |SBMJOB or Option 8 in   |
|                        |                        |WRKQRY.                 |
|                        |                        |                        |
|                        |                        |Note:  If you specify J |
|                        |                        |in position 76 and      |
|                        |                        |*USRPRF starting in     |
|                        |                        |position 16, these      |
|                        |                        |options cancel each     |
|                        |                        |other out and will have |
|                        |                        |no effect.              |

To enable the new user profile data area, the data area must reside in a
library contained in your current library list.  If the data area
QQUPRFOPTS cannot be found for any reason, the default values are used.  To
enable the user profile options, on the OS/400 command line type the
following:

QSYS/CRTDTAARA  DTAARA(libname/QQUPRFOPTS)  +
TYPE(*CHAR)  LEN(80)  VALUE(user profile option settings)  +
AUT(*USE)  TEXT('Query/400 User Profile Options')