From: Ieckes Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 10:32 AM

<From the 494e diagnostic guide:

438908-The AS/400 did not accept the 494e connection request because
this 494e description has been varied offline.

431200-Error detected in the LU6.2 session. The Perle 494e received a
function management header indicating session termination. Verify
configuration; if problem persists contact eh AS/400 system operator.?>

Yep, I had read all of that and was even MORE confused yesterday because
it WAS varied on - and it was ACTIVE, I could ping it, etc.

And here is the answer...

The diskettes I had there (for those of you familiar with the Perle
routine) were 3.65 and we had upgraded from that some time ago... I had
not noticed that. I started to think about that last night (you know how
the ole brain starts rolling through stuff when you are trying to go to
sleep...) knowing that we were on 3.91. So the config backup I had was
at 3.91 and when you go into the restore procedure and use the Setup
diskette, etc. it must have gotten confused. So with an extra control
unit in hand, I show up this morning, take the 3.91 diskette(s) and
restore with THOSE and WALLAH it is up in no time...

So DUH on my part - I HATE overlooking stuff like this but "live and
learn"... When I upgraded 8 sites 3 years ago, I had retrieved ALL of
the 3.65 diskettes (I even verified this this morning, finding the box
in the computer room will all the 3.65 sets in it...) but this site
still had them... It think this was because they had a control unit die
a few years ago and those might have still been in the slot but the
other ones 3.91 diskettes were used to config it and someone misplaced
them, etc.

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the advice !

Chuck