Although Linux will be around for a fairly long while, (and in addition to
the cogent discussion so far I just got), I don't think this view takes
several things into consideration.  For example:

>From IBM developerWorks:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ivesr.html

"dW: So if there was another chapter for Cathedral and the Bazaar that you
would write based on what you learned there, what was the lesson?

Raymond: That it is possible for open source cultures in some respects to
ossify enough that good work is locked out. And that is a long-term problem
that I don't know how we're going to deal with.

I also think part of the reason that it happened was that there are people
on the kernel list who are really hostile to the idea of making kernel
configuration accessible to everybody. They want it to continue being a
black art."

>From a somewhat dated, but still-relevant, interview with Larry McVoy on a
VAST ARRAY of important subjects:
http://kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=222

"The problem is that coding is fun while it is fun, but when it isn't fun,
there has to be some other reason to keep doing it. For a lot of projects,
it's painfully clear that it became "not fun" and the project stopped.
Browse the CVS repositories and you'll see what I mean."

"Richard [M. Stallman] might want to consider the fact that developing new
software is extremely expensive. He's very proud of the collection of free
software, but that's a collection of reimplementations, but no profoundly
new ideas or products. Free software is very cool, it's useful, I use it,
and I'm grateful, but it has one big problem. What if the free software
model simply can't support the costs of developing new ideas? Realize that
for every good new idea that you hear about, there are at least a 100 that
were funded, developed, and failed before you ever saw them."

Interesting (to me anyhoo)...:  "The SMP hardware, working with the OS, has
to make sure that you never have two processors modifying the same data at
the same time to different values. That's cache coherency."  In spite of
some-a the disadvantages of Single-Level-Memory-Store, I'm glad the S/38/CPF
dealt with these things effectively.

jt