Pete and Vernon cover QNTC pretty well, and yes, the network discovery stuff
does work, but it can be a s-l-o-w process.  Stuffing the link to the host
into QNTC does help you avoid that.  I've had some reliability issues that
seem to point at netbios, but nothing that I can pin down.

Probably a bit more work, but NFS is a similar concept for mounting (Unix
style) a remote file-system to a path in your root.  This one was invented
by Sun, and shows a bit more polish and reliability than Microsoft's
implementation of SMB.  FWIW, QNTC has been fine for our needs, despite a
few hiccough's

About account validation in QNTC, we wound up creating a set of commands to
copy, move, delete, etc. files between os400 and windows, that swap profile
handles to a "NETSERVR" profile that exists both on OS400 and the Windows
domain controller. This allows us to use these commands in a production
environment where the job's user profile (most likely) doesn't exist or is
different in Windows networking.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)