Tom,

I take the dashes to mean that for whatever reason, the #2745 is not a
valid option for a 270.

What I used to do when I worked with a business partner selling AS/400
hardware was rely on IBM's configurator for stuff like this.  I would
start with the customer's current configuration and then add the
appropriate card.  Perhaps I was lucky but it never let me make a mistake
if I started with accurate information.  I don't have access to the
appropriate information in this case.  I assume that because the #2745 is
not listed anywhere as a valid communications card for a 270, that it
won't work.  I always needed to get a positive affirmation that something
would work before I went ahead with it.

When we start buying equipment on the used market or EBay, then there is
more pressure on us to find that positive affirmation.  How did your
client order their hardware?  If it was from an IBM-authorized business
partner, they should be able to swap the card for the right thing because
business partners really do have an obligation to sell appropriate
hardware.  But then again, maybe the card will work.

As far as slots go, I haven't looked in detail but the 270 has seven
slots, labeled C01 to C07.  C01 is dedicated to the RAID controller.  C06
and C07 are usually reserved for communications and the console.  If
there is no Integrated xServer (C04) to worry about, you should be able
to install a two-line WAN card in any open slot.

If you have the ability to publish to the list the current card
configuration by slot number, I'm sure that someone could give more
specific advice as to the appropriate slot.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse