Thanks for your response.  See comments inline.

        Diana,

        I do not have an answer but are some recomendations -

        o  If you applied all the database PTF (s) I suggest to also apply the
lates cumm package. o  Can you compare V4R5 storage to your V5R1 storage ? o
Check for history logs, journal receivers, save files, folders, IFS, libraries
           .. check to see if you can clean up your DASD.

[Diana Hicks] I applied the latest cume and cleaned up the disk that is why the
disk used is about the same as it was before the upgrade.

        o  Check to see what objects have been created around the time you
upgraded to V5R1
           DSPOBJD .. check for creation dates. Maybe new logical files with
huge access paths

[Diana Hicks] I'll check the objects but we haven't upgraded the application
software that works with the data.

        o  Check for system errors associated to the tape drive. Print the
error log
           Do you think the hardware that transports the data to your tape
drive is faulty ? o  Give IBM a call and/or  Visit the iSeries support center

[Diana Hicks] I checked the error log and found no errors.

        I hopr this helps

        regards

        Jorge

Please visit the Town of Jupiter online at http://www.jupiter.fl.us