This error is caused by the AS/400 losing communications with the terminal
when a user is still signed on.

If this is a 5250 terminal, it could be caused by the power being shut
off, or by faulty cable, or by something else that could cause a
communications drop.

When using a PC with emulation software, it's the same idea... some how
that session got disconnected.   Could be cable/hardware, or could be that
the emulation software was closed, or windows was shut down, etc.

Around here it usually is caused by "force of habit" from the users.
They get used to clicking the "X" in the upper-right corner of their
window to exit the program they're in.    When signed on to the AS/400,
they close programs by pressing F3...   but sometimes, just out of a force
of habit, they'll click the "X" instead.     And, of course, this
disconnects the session without signing off -- causing the CPF5140...

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Dave Snyder wrote:

> What type of things would cause this error? It is happening to us more
> and more. The symptoms are that the user is working and the session just
> kicks out. Any special parameters that I should look at?
>
>  Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF5140       Severity . . . . . . . :   70
>  Message type . . . . . :   Information
>  Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/27/03      Time sent  . . . . . . :   13:28:09
>
>  Message . . . . :   Session stopped by a request from device QPADEV002Z.
[SNIP]