 >> The process would involve generating a source member, based on  the XML,
then CRTPNLGRP. It's not really dynamic in the utilization - would be slow
is it had to be dynamic.

And therein lies the problem.  I'd forgotten that UIM still required
compiling etc.

By the way - for those following this thread - Leif had it right.

Think of it as one program that currently outputs a generic 5250 screen.

Each user has their own ideas on how to view the data - field order -
display/non-display - length of field in some cases - etc. etc.

Add to that the notion that _each_user_ also wants to choose to see it on a
browser, or a PDA, some on a cell phone, and some on a 5250.  Hard coded
display files won't cut it.  We would need too many different formats and
that in turn would require using C I/O because RPG "Hard-wires" the file to
the program.  DSM is a "maybe" but the additional tooling would be
prohibitive and probably DSM would limit my choices on the browser /PDA end.

Since XML/XSL can do the browser stuff etc. it seems a good choice but it
leaves me with the 5250 issues.

Jon Paris
Partner400