There is a new format for directory objects, called *TYPE2. Help text on this field, when displaying attributes of a driectory, says:

This directory is optimized for performance, size, and reliability compared to directories having the *TYPE1 format.

I don't remember is your directories are converted automatically - V4R5 would have been *TYPE1. And I don't know what the performance implications are. Could there be conversion issues? That will go away?

I see a couple PTFs (MF29296, in CUME 2344, and MF28857, in CUME 2211) that pertain to corrupted TYPE2 directories in V5R2.

There's a story <http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tfh082902-story05.html> about the benefits, but it sounds like you know this already.

HTH

Vern