IIRC from the past:

>there is a copy of the SLIC on both sides.
>PTFs for 5722999 apply to the SLIC
>SLIC on the A side has only permanently applied PTFs and the
>one on the B side includes also temporarily applied PTFs.

Yes, yes, and yes.

>My other current belief is that temporary PTFs for the operating system and
>licensed programs are "virtual", in that they or either enabled or not
based
>on which side you IPL from.

No. There is no way to boot the os w/o the temp applied PTFs. When a PTF is
loaded the "new" program is extracted from the SAVF and named QPZxxxx (or
something like that). When an immed ptf is applied the "old" program is
renamed to QPZyyyy and the QPZxxx is renamed to the correct program name.
Delayed PTFs go through the same process at IPL.

The difference between temp and perm apply is whether the "old" replaced
program is kept around. If it is (temp) then you can remove the PTF by
reversing the rename process[1]. If it isn't (perm) there is no way to
remove the PTF because the old program isn't around anymore.

I'd imagine LIC PTFs go through the same process but you need two sides (two
copies) because the programs you need to patch are alreay in use by the time
you get to the point of the IPL that you can patch them. With two copies you
can always patch the other side. If you recall back to V1Rx days you'd do
IPLs to A then B then A then B then... When applying PTFs. The swap of sides
was a great feature.

-Walden

[1] Oversimplified version obviously -- there are pre and post install
scripts, dependencies, etc. But you get the idea.

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11