If you have QShell installed, try

qsh cmd('ls -l /home/assessments > ls.txt')

This puts something like the following into file ls.txt in your home directory:

total: 3.476 megabytes
drwxrwsrwx 4 VERNNBT 0 12288 Jan 14 15:08 Assessment Docs
drwxrwsrwx 4 VERNNBT 0 28672 Dec 24 20:34 Assessment Reports
-rwxrwxrwx 1 MJD 0 599465 Nov 1 10:14 Assessment Tool.zip

This is the authorization (d means directory, - means not a directory, l means a symbolic link), some number I don't remember, the owner, another number, the size, date of last change, I think, and the name.

Then CPYFRMSTMF to a flat physical with a logical that uses SST to break out the fields, or CPYFRMIMPF with a FFD to put it into a physical file.

qsh cmd('ls /home/assessments > ls.txt') gives you just the file names:

Assessment Docs
Assessment Reports
Assessment Tool.zip

qsh cmd('ls -lF /home/assessments > ls.txt') gives you the list with a special character after the file name that tells you what it is:

total: 3.476 megabytes
drwxrwsrwx 4 VERNNBT 0 12288 Jan 14 15:08 Assessment Docs/
drwxrwsrwx 4 VERNNBT 0 28672 Dec 24 20:34 Assessment Reports/
-rwxrwxrwx 1 MJD 0 599465 Nov 1 10:14 Assessment Tool.zip*

ls -R will go down through subdirectories. So ls -RlF in my home directory makes:

total: 526.436 megabytes
drwxrwsrwx 2 VERN 0 8192 Sep 27 12:02 nextlevel/
-rwxrwxrwx 1 VERNNBT 0 95261 Dec 4 10:47 overlay.ovl*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 VERN 0 361367952 Nov 26 2001 q5733lst.savf*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 VERN 0 30 Nov 7 13:07 testxxx@ -> /qsys.lib/vern.lib/testxxx.pgm

home/VERN/./nextlevel:
total: 1.792 megabytes
-rwx------ 1 VERN 0 1786278 Sep 27 12:02 xcaspi.txt*

There are other flags - check out the QShell utility reference.

HTH

Vern