Have a look at the ifstool.savf here
ftp://testcase.boulder.ibm.com/as400/fromibm/ApiSamples/

There is a QRYIFSLIB program that was written exactly for this purpose.

ifstool.savf

 AS/400 R450 savf with executable and source for:
                  DELTREE   Delete a directory and all subdirectories
                                  and files in it.
                  DEL       Recursive delete by pattern match such as
*.eml.
                        CHGAUTALL Runs CHGAUT on all files in a directory
                                  and all directories and files in
subdirectories under it.
                  CHGOWNALL Similar to CHGAUTALL but uses CHGOWN command.
                        ATTRIB    Set/clear all PC attributes
                                  of an IFS file or directory similar to
the DOS ATTRIB command.
                                  \S option will accept a directory name
and apply changes
                                  to all directories and files in that
directory.
QRYIFSLIB Dump information such as file size, owner, group, etc
                                  to outfile and sum directory size.
                  RNMIFSF   Rename an invalid file or directory name.
                        DLTIFSF   Delete a file from the IFS containing
invalid characters.
                        DSPLINK   Display the actual location that a
symbolic link references.
                        CHGCCISD  Change CCSID on one file or all files in
a directory.
                        CMDALL    Runs specified command on all files in a
directory
                                  and all directories and files in
subdirectories under it.
                                  Any command that has the OBJ parameter