Yeah...well...if it's not a 400, it's not a real system...right Joe?

From: "Shahan, Ray" <rshahan@SchoolSpecialty.com>
To: "'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Subject: RE: Welcome AL!
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:20:58 -0600

Booth asks of the hp3k OS (correctly called MPE/ix) "What is REDO??  Sounds
like my lifestyle.  *vbg*"

The 3k is a command line driven box.  Each command that you type in is held
in a file and can be re-executed via the REDO command (imagine F9 on
steroids!!).  The diff for the 3k is that the command stack can be accessed
by the relative number of the command in the stack, or generically by the
first few chars of the command (you can view all the commands in your REDO
stack via the LISTREDO command).  Once the  command is recalled, you are
automatically in a full-featured line editor, and can do all sorts of
groovy
things to modify the command.

The companion to REDO is the DO command, it simply executes the command
without editing (relative position or via a generic match on chars in the
command) .

So, I've done a few simple commands for example and they are in my command
stack...we'll view them first with the LISTREDO command:

NOTE: the commands in RED are what I typed in, while the black is from MPE
(the hp3k OS).

:LISTREDO
     1) SHAHAN.CMD
     2) SHOWJOB JOB=@.YANTRA2

Now we want to REDO the SHOWJOB command (the second command in the stack),
so we REDO 2, change the 2 to a 3 in the YANTRA2 account name:

REDO 2
SHOWJOB JOB=@.YANTRA2
C\2\3\
SHOWJOB JOB=@.YANTRA3

:SHOWJOB JOB=@.YANTRA3
 NO SUCH JOB(S)
JOBFENCE= 2; JLIMIT= 0; SLIMIT= 1000

We can do this same REDO by accessing the first few chars of the command we
wish to REDO. This time, we'll delete the YANTRA2 account parm, so we can
view all of the active batch jobs. You'll see the DDDDD (for delete) under
the chars to delete, and then an 'I' (for insert) allowing us to insert the
'J' (a J denotes JOBS).

:REDO SH
SHOWJOB JOB=@.YANTRA3
             DDDDDDDDDIJ
SHOWJOB JOB=@J

:SHOWJOB JOB=@J

JOBNUM  STATE IPRI JIN  JLIST    INTRODUCED  JOB NAME

#J15646 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  PROCDRVR,MGRJOB.YANTRA2
#J7413  EXEC        10S STD00    SUN  1:38P  JINETD,MANAGER.SYS
#J15644 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  PROCDRVR,PROCDRVR.SFD
#J15648 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  DBMSGDRV,MGRJOB.YANTRA1B
#J15347 EXEC        10S STD00    MON  6:51P  MASTEROP,MGR.MOP
#J15650 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  GATEWAY,MGR.JUNEBOX

Finally, if we just want to execute a command without editing it first, we
can DO the relative number of the command in the stack, or DO by the first
few chars of the command.:

:DO SH
:SHOWJOB JOB=@J

JOBNUM  STATE IPRI JIN  JLIST    INTRODUCED  JOB NAME

#J15646 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  PROCDRVR,MGRJOB.YANTRA2
#J7413  EXEC        10S STD00    SUN  1:38P  JINETD,MANAGER.SYS
#J15644 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  PROCDRVR,PROCDRVR.SFD
#J15648 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  DBMSGDRV,MGRJOB.YANTRA1B
#J15347 EXEC        10S STD00    MON  6:51P  MASTEROP,MGR.MOP
#J15650 EXEC        10S STD00    TUE  1:56A  GATEWAY,MGR.JUNEBOX

Ray Shahan

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans", John Lennon