No need to test Dennis:

ILE RPG for AS/400 Reference, SC09-2508-xx 1.4.2.1 External Indicators says:

"The external indicators are U1 through U8. These indicators can be set in a CL
program or in an RPG IV program. In a CL program, they can be set by the SWS
(switch-setting) parameter on the CL commands CHGJOB (Change Job) or CRTJOBD
(Create Job Description). In an RPG IV program, they can be set as a resulting
indicator or field indicator.

The status of the external indicators can be changed in the program by
specifying them as resulting indicators on the calculation specifications or as
field indicators on the input specifications. However, changing the status of
the OS/400 job switches with a CL program during processing of an RPG IV
program has no effect on the copy of the external indicators used by the RPG IV
program. Setting the external indicators on or off in the program has no effect
on file operations. File operations function according to the status of the U1
through U8 indicators when the program is initialized. However, when a program
ends normally with LR on, the external indicators are copied back into storage,
and their status reflects their last status in the RPG IV program. The current
status of the external indicators can then be used by other programs.
Note: When using ""RETURN (Return to Caller)"" in topic 4.4.81 with the LR
indicator off, you are specifying a return without an end and, as a result, no
external indicators are updated. "

I guess that they with "Setting the external indicators on or off in the
program has no effect on file operations" means that it does not influence the
U1..U9 used as file conditioning indicators on the F-spec's

Henrik
http://hkrebs.dk