You're right... sort of...  it doesn't have to be on your LAN or on
your ISP's LAN...   It can be anywhere that the packets get sent through.
But you're right, it can't just be anywhere on the internet, only a
machine along the packet route.

Do a traceroute from the remote computer to the AS/400.  Assuming that
the ISPs firewalls allow traceroutes, each line of the output will be
one gateway that the packets travel through.

So, any computer on the same LAN with any of the listed gateways could
be sniffing your packets.