Jim & Vern,

Thanks for the help.

OK, I'm trying to create an overlay from a Word document.  I'm using the
AFP 300 printer driver, and selecting a user-defined paper size, and
output type Overlay in the print driver.

I'm printing straight to a prn file on QDLS and doing a CPYFRMPCD with
TRNTABLE(*NONE) to a file that's 32766 long and is LVLCHK(*NO).

I'm then trying to CRTOVL and I'm seeing CPD88C0, reason code 2 which
says:
     2 - The structured field identifier in the incoming data for the
printer
   resource is not correct or is not supported. The error was detected
while
   processing record 1, byte number 17. The structured field which is
not
   correct may be caused by a length that is not correct on the previous

   structure field. The structured field which was being processed at
the time
   is '5A0010D3A8C6'X.

The APAR I was pointed to by our support team was SE03287,
  Abstract

  CA400EXP-UNPRED PROBLEM CREATING OVERLAY WITH AFP DRIVER 151

  Error Description

  Creating Overlay with AFP driver Version 151 has no image data

  when viewed with the AFP viewer or when the overlay is created.

Which isn't an exact hit on my error message, but didn't bode well.  It
does refer specifically to Overlays.  Maybe I should try to use page
segments instead.

If I run the same process against a Win98 PC, I get an overlay that
creates, but there are alignment issues or with a later version, the
alignment is OK, but the partial shading that we use as part of the form
that is a 5% shade in Word, comes out solid black on the overlay.

I'm sure it shouldn't be this frustrating!

Cheers
Rob