Sorry - I did not mean to imply that it was more secure -
I should have been more "obvious" to my cringing at the
very thought of opening up port 23 -

But then again, a truly secure 400/Network,
is not attached to ANY outside forces, not even dial-up,
and has fingerprint or retina scanning authorization to
use the on-site equipment (which as you know both can
be fooled by anyone who is really ambitious)

IF you must have access to "green screen" over the internet,
VPN is your best bet - but have you looked into alternatives
to rumba for green screen emulation -

I have used a product called mocasoft (the 5250 version)
simple, small foot print, and cheap -
Their site claims to have a web/java version - which my
assumption would be that only port 80 would be open -
also something that I do not recommend -
Going the SSL route would be better, but almost as much
"work" as going VPN.

In the end, IF you must go through the internet,
it is your firewall that will protect you -
configure it carefully, and hide yourself as much
as possible from the outside world.
You should even be able to reject port scanners -
if you are configured properly on your connection.

And even with all this - make sure the people coming
in are secured too (weather dial-up/vpn/internet) -
if they do not have virus protection, you are not
protected.

I understand your position (going for cheap/quick/easy)
its the way the people holding the check book want to go -
don't let them, hold out for going secure, and test/test/test
before you release it; which ever way you end up going.

-Mark