Hi Al,

actually I have this RIDICULOUS problem:

I'm working in a Bank and not in a barber shop, and I've been asked to give
a technical answer to this question (and to decide). Maybe if I respond that
this is a RIDICULOUS question, in the future I will probably have to ask the
barber shop to give me a job.

At present a certain field is 7.0 - and it must be enlarged because now -
after 6 (six) years - it is going to become full.

How much we should enlarge it? With 8.0 we can add more 90,000,000 items and
it is enough for the next 50 years but it seems that there is an overhead
(this field is part of  a key in other db for a total of  800,000,000 rcds).
With 9.0 there is no overhead and no waste of space but we have hundreds of
panels (especially subfile lines) and reports where one more byte cannot
fit.

I ran a simple test (on a 830) adding 100,000,000 of records with 8.0 vs.
9.0 on a empty table with 2 of these fields (without keys or logicals) and
the overhead is 0 (ZERO) but +12% compared to 7.0 (however still nothing if
compared to the eternity)
These ase the times:
7.0 needs 66secs of CPU while 8.0 needs 74s and 9.0 always needs 74s.

I repeated the test with 2 logicals (2 keys - K1+K2 and K2+K1 on the same
7/8/9.0 pf); adding only 10,000,000 records gave these results:
7.0 needs 403secs of CPU while 8.0 needs 401secs and 9.0 needs 402secs, in
other words 7,8 or 9 makes no difference.

Because I remember that at s/38 times the semi-byte (oh sorry the NIBBLE)
did really matter, I wanted to get some other opinions.

I posted the same into MI400 newsgroup and I've been pleased to find there a
very interesting answer to this problem. Take a look, Al.

-- Giuseppe