Andy - I think there have been recent changes in requirements.
This is from the support web site today.

Internet PTF Downloads (iPTF) -- Registration Required

This facility from IBM allows you to select, order and download PTFs via the
Internet. To use this facility, you must have an IBM userid and password.
To acquire an IBM userid and password, please register.
For information and instructions for downloading PTFs from the Internet, or
to link to the iPTF facility, go to: Internet PTF Downloads (iPTF)
Note: Your iSeries or AS/400 system must be running OS/400 V4R2 or higher.

Ordering PTFs on Media (CD-ROM) via Internet -- FEE BASED

- Available to US iSeries and AS/400 Monthly Support Line Contract customers
When ordering PTFs on Media (CD-ROM) via the Internet, you must:
Be a United States (US) iSeries or AS/400 Monthly Support Line Contract
customer AND be Registered to use the Internet Facility.
Order PTFs on Media

Ordering via Voice Support -- FEE BASED

iSeries and AS/400 customers that have a Telephone (Voice Support) Software
Support Contract may call their Support Center to order PTFs.

For United States customers:
Orders for PTFs on Media received via Voice Support are normally processed
within the same business day.

Ordering via United States Program Services for Supported Releases

The base set of Program Services for supported OS/400 Releases provides the
ability for the customer to order PTFs using:
Electronic Customer Support (ECS)
ECS facilitates automatic problem analysis and electronic download of PTFs.
Customers can also utilize this facility to request preventative fixes on
media. ECS is available on a 24 hour basis and may require IBM Maintenance
Agreement if ordering microcode PTFs. Details about the Universal Connection
for ECS, including configuration scenarios and troubleshooting, are
available in the Redbook, "iSeries Universal Connection for Electronic
Support and Electronic Services" , SG24-6224.
Facsimile (FAX)
To contact by Facsimile in the US:
Print and complete Document #4792 (blank form).
FAX completed form to IBM via PTFs FAX phone: (800) 288-9584.
Orders for PTFs on Media received by FAX will be processed within seven (7)
business days.
United States Mail
To contact by U.S. Mail:
Print and complete Document #4792 (blank form).
Then mail to:
IBM Corporation
Highway 52 North
Department LYJ