>Raw data access would be completely hidden from the user, and any
>manipulation of the data would be through a controlled methodology.  This
>would ensure integrity, and also allow the Nirvana of "platform
>independence", since in theory the data could be stored anywhere on any
>platform, and it would be the middle tier's job to get the data.

>Wouldn't that be lovely?

Joe,  respectfully, it wouldn't "Be Lovely" I believe.
I was actually reading your post when a User walked in my office
and looked over my shoulder and read your post.

Let me explain a couple of things first.

Users at my site use  Query/400,  Data Extracts using EXCEL straight into
Excel (Excel query) ,
Showcase query, have Access DB's that have our production DB2/400 tables as
their source.

And also the user reading your post over my shoulder came into my office
and
wanted to talk about the best way to access some particular info in
DB2/400.

He thought your remarks were quite strange.

He was actually under the impression that the Files that he uses
are actually HIS files under my care and feeding.

He is the MFG person who "Owns" the Production process AND IT'S DATA.

The users (via program and system user testing) ensure it's accuracy.
We design the DB, It's integrity, It's saves/restores, ie Caretaker.

They extract the data in ways we couldn't predict (because business
questions
change weekly).

They do file transfers, downloads NOT uploads.  DB2/400 is THE reference
point for
all data accuracy.

We IT people Along With the users plan some of our summarized data base
files.

They know why the data is normalized,  They know a "JOIN" view is a
projection
over multiple tables to achieve a "Perspective" on the data........

And on and on.

SO,   Respectfully, - watching a user do his own query over DB2/400
straight into
an Excel spreadsheet and then do a pivot table and produce a graph just
before
a management meeting - I would have to disagree and stand by my original
position that the data belongs to the USER.

BTW,  a SIGNIFICANT affect this change had on our site (with the advent of
users actually
using the data themselves)  was that THEY started viewing the data as
theirs.
They then started viewing the iSeries as THEIR computer (NOT the IT
department's anymore)

They started trusting the iSeries (and it's data) more than they trusted
someone else's
spreadsheet on their PC.

I would rather live in my shop, than in a shop where the users have to beg
IT for a report
or inquiry or any other "IT produced" interface.

Last word I promise

Respectfully
John Carr