Pat Barber <mboceanside=XfrvlLN1Pqtfpb/ySbbPhw@public.gmane.org>
wrote in 3DA1A117.2E36F01A@worldnet.att.net:">news:3DA1A117.2E36F01A@worldnet.att.net:

> I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe that ethernet is
> even remotely capable of doing "full duplex".
>
> Ethernet is a "collision technology" and while all these
> little buttons and lights might say "full duplex", they
> are just kidding you.
>
> "Full Duplex" requires a dedicated line between boxes that
> will allow "send & receive" at the same time. I don't believe
> you ever have that situation using ethernet...
>
> I am speaking about "full duplex" regarding AS/400's only, not
> pc networks or internet connections. In my opinion, you have
> to have a full four wire connection to have "full duplex".
>
> I don't believe that can be done with two stands of twisted pair.
>

> This might just be "nit picking" but I see the term "full duplex"
> used incorrectly quite often.
>
> Here is a tiny story on the whole deal:
>
> http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/1487/2/

Ethernet over twisted pair uses a 4 wire connection - 2 for transmit
and 2 for receive. In order for full duplex connections to work you
need a point to point connection - not a bus connection as used by hubs
and coax ethernet connections. A switch provides a point to point
connection and so allows for true full duplex operation.

--
Mike Buglass