From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 15:28:23
To: MIDRANGE-L \(E-mail\)
Subject: sound error through PC speakers, not the standard beep

I do have an E3 emulator (purchasing system) that will allow me to play a
WAV file
for the screen errors - but it seems to be very poorly written, plagued with
timing issues
that E3 cannot seem to fix (they test one developer on a 820 box; I live in
the real
world, and the polling that takes place here takes longer than 1
millisecond)
That said -

What I would like to do is play a PC sound file (most likely wav) when an
error
occurs, that way in the warehouse the PC speakers can be turned WAY up
so they can hear it over the noise of the warehouse.

The standard "beep" on client access does not work, I have tried mochasoft
too
and it just is not enough (need longer beeps; and something more
"noticeable")

So, what possible solutions do I have? Is it possible to write something
(C, Java, VB)
for the PC that can do a sound and have the AS/400 rpg program talk to it
(API),
the same program will so far be running at three separate stations at the
same time.

We are on V5R1 on an 820.

We do not have any VB, C or for that matter Java people on site,
I have run pc commands from within rpg, but that leaves the "media player"
as the active window, and I would want that to run in the "back-ground" so
they can keep scanning (1-2 seconds between scans)

TIA for any odd-ball thoughts or directions to look -

Mark A. Manske
Fleming CSD - Plymouth Division
Sr. Project Lead
Phone (763) 545-3700 extension 273