From: "Martin Rowe" <martin@dbg400.net>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: srcmbr utility.

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 10:45 pm, Hatzenbeler, Tim wrote:

> Before I write this little tool, I was just wondering, if any one else
> may already have one....
>
> I'm using some PC programs to compare the difference in source files,
> but to get the rpg source code to the PC I have to download the source
> member to the PC, so I can view the file...
>
> The tool I'm looking for is something like this...
>
> Library
> TimDev
> Source PF
> Custom
> Members
> prg1
> prg2
> prg3
>
> What I would like to do is, have a tool export these source members to
> the IFS and create these files.
> ../TimDev/Custom/prg1.rpgle
> ../TimDev/Custom/prg2.rpgle
> ../TimDev/Custom/prg3.rpgle
>
> And convert them to *pc files ... Any such tool? I have no desire to
> re-import these files back to the source member, I don't want to loose
> my change dates.

Hi Tim

I wrote some utilities at work to open up a PC text editor[1] for a
single source member, or to compare a pair of them, both done with PDM
options. I keep the change dates in the source so the source code can be
restored with another PDM option. I'm part way through packaging them for
download from my site, so if you don't get a suitable solution in the
meantime, you could nag me to get them finished ;)

Regards, Martin
[1] I use Vim on Linux, as the diff mode on that is excellent (and it's a
cracking editor anyway), but a colleague uses JEdit in Windows - both
projects on sourceforge, but also with their own .org sites too. I'll get
my colleague to take a look at Windiff -it sounds good.
--
martin@dbg400.net  jamaro@firstlinux.net  http://www.dbg400.net    /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open    \ /